Saturday, December 31, 2011

A focus (not resolution) for the new year

Looking back at the resolutions I set for myself at the beginning of this year, I can't give myself much of a good grade. I think the only thing I did consistently was post on this blog every month. I posted occasionally on my creative writing blog and I did end the school year with some patience left (sort of), but not much else got checked off, or at least not consistently. So instead of making specific resolutions for this next year, I've been thinking about having a focus, instead. Over Christmas I reflected a lot of what's really important and I really feel like relationships and people are what count more than our fitness level or exercise regime. So that's my unspecific focus for the year - people. People that matter to me, people who are far away, people who I might not talk to very often. I want to reconnect and connect a little deeper. Spend quality time, even if it's just a phone call with a friend I haven't seen in months. I realize this will take me a little out of my comfort zone - I'm a homebody who is almost always content to stay in and put things like phone calls or hanging out off. This year, I'm going to try to be better at staying in touch and being involved. There are no specific deadlines or numbers involved, just what I hope will be little steps toward becoming a better, more compassionate person. Wish me luck!

No comments:

Post a Comment