Thursday, December 29, 2011

Christmas, parts 1 through 5

Somehow, Christmas has come and gone and I still feel like I'm trying to catch my breath. The last two weeks have been crazy, wonderful, stressful, and lots of fun. All part of December's magic! Christmas really came in several parts this year, so I've cataloged it accordingly.

Christmas, part 1
First of all, now that Christmas is over, I can finally reveal what I've been doing with my free time over the last three months. Every spare moment I had, while Tim was doing math and we were watching "Stargate", I was working on quilts to give as Christmas presents. Not one or two or even three; we're talkin' EIGHT quilts!








In what is quickly becoming a tradition of "go big" when it comes to projects, this all started with the idea of making a quilt for Tim's parents with all his siblings' help. Then it multiplied and we bought sheets at IKEA, gratefully accepted sheets from my parents (who had no idea they were going to get them back), and got to work! The total count: 1 king-sized quilt (400 squares), 3 queen-sized quilts (765 total squares), 1 twin (165 squares), one half-twin (70 squares), and two baby quilts (60 squares total). It was so much work and made December extra-specially stressful, but I kind of love how all the quilts turned out. Never again, but it was fun this once.

Christmas, part 2
Tim's parents and newly-returned-home-from-a-mission-younger-brother Mike came to stay with us for Christmas which meant we hosted Christmas Eve and Christmas day for all of Tim's family at our house. We had everyone together for the first time in two years and it was wonderful! For Christmas Eve and Christmas morning, we had Tim's parents and his four unmarried brothers sleep over. So much fun! I'm lucky to have so many great brothers now.



Christmas, part 3
Then later in the day, Tim's grandma came over as well as his married brothers with their families and the real party began! There were fifteen of us in our little apartment, including two semi-cranky toddlers, but we made it work. We had a massively wonderful dinner and lots of time to chat and play, exactly as Christmas should be.



Christmas, part 4
The next morning, Tim and I drove up to my parents' house for "Second Christmas" with my family (no photos, sorry). We got to open our gifts from them and watch them open our gifts (they were so surprised by the quilts!). Then came the biggest Christmas surprise of all: Mom and Dad told us that their friends, the Wagners, who know about my dad's health situation with the cancer and all, had offered to fly all of us to Hawaii for a week. HAWAII!!! For a WEEK!!! We couldn't believe it! I actually started crying, it was such an overwhelming moment. We picked our dates for the first week of March and by the end of the day, we had flights booked! I still can't believe it; it was definitely the Christmas miracle none of us expected!

Christmas, part 5
After spending half of the day after Christmas with my family, Tim and I drove back to our house for "Second Christmas" with the Herrick fam. Brian and Erika are some of Tim's psuedo-siblings and they drove up to be with the family, so we celebrated with everyone all over again. Christmas is so much fun when there are little kids to watch open their presents. Sarah's face was priceless!


Christmas just kept going and going, full of surprises and lots of great family time. Next year I am definitely going to try to schedule fewer parties and events so we can take more time to enjoy December. I feel like I'm still trying to recover from having so many people over but luckily, I've got time to do that. Merry merry Christmas!

No comments:

Post a Comment