Friday, October 8, 2010

It's the small (and not so small) things in life that make living so grand

Yesterday, as I left work right around sunset at 6:30, I walked out into a wall of cool, crisp, delicious air. The rain had stopped for the moment, and though I was chilly, I was instantly refreshed. The red leaves were vibrant on Cascade Mountain as some sunlight found a secret way through the clouds to illuminate the mountains in stripes and spots. It was a simple moment, but it was a gorgeous reminder that autumn is here.

I told Tim recently that we needed to find something to be excited about. It feels like we're always in survival mode, just "making it through" the week of homework, tests, and work, and we needed something to look forward to. Yesterday's peace-infusing sunset was a sweet reminder that while dream vacations are fun to plan, there are little things everyday to enjoy. And then, as I got thinking about it, there are somewhat big things going on as well. Life, life-changing things.

My sister is getting married in fifteen days (two weeks from Saturday).

My brother is leaving to serve a mission for The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints in thirty-three days (four weeks from next Wednesday.

My cousin was killed in Afghanistan seven months ago last Monday.

Together, all of us are going to the temple.

My sister and brother are going through the temple for the first time next week, and my aunt and uncle got permission to take my cousin's name through at the same time. My family and extended family and soon-to-be-in-laws (of Rachel's) will make up at least half of the session. Just thinking about the spirit that will be there when we are all together in the Draper Temple gives me chills. And tears. (But those just come whenever they feel like it anyway.) It's going to be a very special experience, and I can't wait for it to come.

Then of course, a wedding, and a mission farewell, and family pictures...Oh yes. There are a lot of things to look forward to.

Some other things I'm looking forward to/am happy about/feel the need to share on this blog:

I am going to see The Scarlet Pimpernel at the Hale Center Theater on Monday. SO. FREAKING. EXCITED.

My mom has been in St. George at the Senior World Olympics this week and has been swimming quite well. Quite well, as in nine gold medals for nine races, and several new records set. I am constantly amazed at how cool my mom is.

And last but definitely not least, my sweet husband got a 92 on his math test!!! It was exactly the kind of victory he (and I) needed where school is concerned. Unless you have ever watched your spouse struggle through semester after semester of defeating assignments and failed tests, you won't know what it means when he (or she) finally gets that elusive good grade and some of the weight of your stress is beautifully lifted. To our dear friend (and practically a relative...we're some kind of in-laws, I think...) and math tutor Alli, we are so so so grateful.

Today, I'm grateful that it's Friday. I'm grateful for a 92 on a math test. I'm grateful for temples. I'm grateful for family. I'm grateful for the rain and the autumn season. And I'm grateful for all the small (and not so small) things that make this life so grand indeed.

2 comments:

  1. I love how you have a knack for looking on the bright side of things. I have been having an extremely bad week and just reading your post made me feel like I would dig myself out of my hole and try to make the most of things. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love you. Really and truly. You made me go over all the things I have been woeing about and look for the good things.

    ReplyDelete