Saturday, October 16, 2010

And it was a glorious day

Today, I got a small glimpse of what heaven will be like, and oh, it will be glorious. I was surrounded by family, but instead of the laughter and chattering of frequent family gatherings, there were tears and open arms and smiles. We were very aware of who was missing, but we were brought closer because of that. We waited anxiously until everyone was together, watching to see who would walk through the door. My heart was full as I embraced my sweet brother and sister, my almost brother-in-law, my parents, grandparents, aunts, uncles, cousins, and of course, my husband. I'm sure it was overwhelming for Rachel and Ethan (that first time through the temple usually is) but I hope they felt the spirit that was there.

We had so many people come that the little Draper temple couldn't quite fit all of us and the other temple patrons into one session, so they split up the groups and my family got to have our own session. It was incredible, knowing that every person in that room was connected to each other in some way. Like I said, I'm pretty sure it's a slice of what heaven will be like.

While we waited in the chapel before the session started, it struck me very forcefully that the whole point of temples and temple work was sitting in the chapel with with me. The power that binds families together in a temple is the same power that guarantees that my cousin Nigel is still part of our family and we'll see him again. And that made the work being done for Nigel by his father a reality, not an abstract.

I could see Nigel very clearly in my mind--dressed in white temple clothes, standing respectfully, his hair curly again as it if had grown out from when he buzzed it before being sent to Afghanistan. I'd never seen Nigel in the temple while he was still alive, so I know it wasn't just a memory. I think it was my heart's way of reminding me that he was there with us.

I know that I'm lucky--a lot of families never get the opportunity to be all together in the temple, for one reason for another. I hope I get to relive that moment many more times. So many things became clear to me in a way they never had before. How much I love my crazy, wonderful family, for one. How incredibly blessed we are to have a promise that we'll be a family forever. And how family relationships are the strongest, most valuable ties we can hope to have in this life. I can't wait to have my own children and to introduce them to this web of loving people that I call my family, because really, I don't think it gets much better than this.

No comments:

Post a Comment