Friday, March 29, 2013

A tribute to Girls' Night

I got to go to a girls' night recently and since then, I've been thinking about how incredibly lucky I am to have the friends I do. So, a tribute:


"Breaking the plane" in Capitol Reef, pretty much our favorite place on earth.

I have been friends with Natalie since the 7th grade. We had P.E. together, and by golly, that's a bonding experience if ever there is one. We didn't see much more of each other under the 10th grade when we had P.E. together again, but we were also working together at the Orem library by then too. And that's all it took to discover that we were kindred spirits and best friends. Natalie was my go-to friend for everything in high school, and then we were roommates for the first two years of college. We've seen each other at our bests and our worsts, through the highest of highs and the lowest of lows, through rehearsals and long work shifts and broken hearts and engagements and babies. I am always grateful for Natalie and I wish she didn't live so far away from me so we could get together more. I always need more of her in my life.


Me, Shelly, Natalie, Manda

When I re-met Natalie in high school, she introduced me to a crazy group of theater friends including Manda and Shelly. Manda was in P.E. with us and I don't remember the very first time I met her, but I remember walking the track with the three of us singing show tunes and making up our own lyrics - another kindred spirit, clearly. And one of my first memories of Shelly was getting a ride home from her and her swerving wildly to avoid hitting a bird that swooped in front of the car. But soon I got to know her and realize that she was another sister in the form of a friend. The four of us were so close, with inside jokes and shared secrets and support every single day of high school. We liked the same boys, talked about it, and still managed to stay close, good friends. I recognize now (and I did then, too, to some extent) how rare a blessing it is to have friends like I did. After high school we went in different directions a little bit, but every time we're in the same place at the same time, we get together and gab like we're still in high school.


All four of us at the Hill Cumorah Pageant taking an official "family" photo.

I met Jen during 11th grade (she was in 10th grade) in Women's Chorus. We had gone to the same junior high but hadn't really known each other, but through choir and theater and mutual friends, we became good friends. We didn't see much of each other after high school for a while but then we started hanging out more and before we knew it, we were roommates during my last year at BYU. She's been one of my best friends ever since. 


Me and Jen waiting in line to buy Breaking Dawn because we're awesome like that. Don't worry, we have our Team Edward and Team Jacob shirts on. We're so cool.

At this most recent girls' night, I had to bring Georgie which meant that I spent most of the night being a mom and not really getting to just hang out and relax. Being there wasn't really what I needed that night, but I thought a lot about what girls' night is about. It's about having fun, certainly, but it's more than that. I noticed how our conversations have changed since high school. I was/am so in awe of my friends and the women they/we have become. We talked about things that mattered to us, from our kids to natural birth to heartache to being Mormons and feminists and what that actually means. We openly shared opinions and ideas and perspectives and I think we are better for it. That is was girls' night is and what it should be. This is what sisterhood is. I am so incredibly lucky to have these sisters as part of my life and I'm so grateful for the occasional girls' night. It's such a restoring experience to share time with people who have become such integral parts of my story. I love you, girls!

No comments:

Post a Comment