Wednesday, March 6, 2013

Some things I don't want to forget

Since we moved and still haven't really unpacked, I can't find Georgie's baby book so I am recording a bunch of little memories here. Very small things but to my mother heart, worth writing down!


-Yesterday I took Georgie with me to a work meeting. I could tell her tummy was really full and sure enough, a few minutes into the meeting, she let loose a huge gassy sound. Everyone laughed, I turned red but smiled apologetically, and the meeting went on. But I knew it wasn't over. A few minutes later an even bigger, louder, more explosive sound came from her little body. Everyone thought it was hysterical, I turned a deeper shade of red and said "I'm sorry!" about twelve times. Georgie let loose two more times before she was done. I was so embarrassed but everyone thought it was funny so I tried not to let it bother me too much!


-The other day Georgie was sucking on her thumb (like she does) so my dad decided to mimic her and suck on his thumb too. She immediately reached out and took his thumb away from him and stuck it in her mouth. Sucking on fingers is clearly hers and hers alone!

-Georgie seems to be starting an attachment phase where sometimes she freaks out if she's left alone with someone she's not super familiar with. We were at our old apartment and I left her with my Grandma Black so I could help Tim load the truck with D.I. stuff and after a few minutes, I could hear Georgie wailing. I went to rescue Grandma and found Georgie sobbing, face red, tears literally dripping off her cheeks until I picked her up. Immediately her crying stopped and she stuck her thumb in her mouth, but she had to take several large shuddering breaths until she'd completely calmed down. Sometimes she doesn't notice when I leave a room but sometimes she immediately starts to cry. On the one hand, this makes some things more difficult. On the other, it's so gratifying to know that I am the thing that makes her feel safe and secure. Before I was a mom, before I was even pregnant, I envied my friends and sisters-in-law when their little ones clung to them, arms around their necks, faces hiding in their shoulders. I wanted to have a little body reaching for mine like that so very much. It was part of my happy place visualization while I was pregnant - reaching out for my little girl and having her  hug me around my neck. So mostly, I kinda love this attachment phase.


-Lately I often put Georgie in bed with us when she wakes up in the mornings as a gentle, slow way for Tim and me to wake up (as opposed to taking her out to the living room). A few mornings ago I sat her up on my stomach and every time she looked over at Tim's still-sleeping form, she got a huge smile on her face. He wasn't even facing her and she  recognized and loved her daddy!

-This was awhile ago, but there was a tremendous snowstorm one day. I opened the curtains in our front room and held Georgie up so she could watch the snow with me. We stood there for at least five minutes (which in baby time is like, half an hour) just watching the millions of huge snowflakes swirl down around us. It was like a Biblical plague, but with snowflakes instead of locusts. It was beautiful and I loved sharing that with Georgie.


-One day I was trying to rock Georgie to sleep and was shushing in her ear. She had one arm free and reached up to touch my face. She found my nose first and squeezed that, then she found my mouth. I made different shushing sounds depending on where her palm was until she pinched my lips shut so I couldn't make anymore noise. Message received!

-Sometimes Georgie just talks and talks to herself. Not upset, not tired, not hungry, just making noise. She talked herself to sleep while we drove home in the car yesterday - too cute!

-There was one night I was on our Lovesac with Georgie, just cuddling her and probably trying to get her to sleep. She looked up at me with these huge, calm eyes that were so aware, so very present, and I was suddenly struck with the thought that she was a fully developed spirit before she came here to earth. She was a fully developed person, with a personality and opinions and character. Her spirit has already lived for a long long time and we not only knew each other when we were both spirits, we were probably really close friends. I have had this thought many times but this time, it was just a very powerful feeling as I sat there connected to her. She held my gaze for a long moment before looking away, and it was like a veil dropped again and she became my tiny baby girl who gets distracted easily and is still learning to process sensations and sounds and faces. I am so grateful for those little moments of connection that remind me of her eternal nature.

No comments:

Post a Comment