Sunday, April 29, 2012

Go see The Secret Garden



The Hale Center Theater in Orem always puts on amazing productions so maybe you are not going to be impressed with what I say next, but I think their current production of The Secret Garden is one of the best shows I've ever seen. Like, ever ever. Remember when I raved about The Drowsy Chaperone? Well now I'm going to rave about this show!

If you've never seen the musical version of The Secret Garden, you're missing out. The music is absolutely gorgeous and the adaptation of the story is haunting. The musical focuses a little more attention on the adults in the story, including the many spirits who haunt the living characters until they find some rest and resolution. As Uncle Archie puts it, "They're not gone, only dead. They're only ghosts if someone alive is still holding on to them." One of the fabulous things about the Hale's show is that they really use the spirits to further the story and take part in guiding the action of the play.


The most amazing thing about this production, though, is the talent - to collect that many talented people on one stage is beyond impressive. I saw the T/Th/S cast and I really highly recommend choosing one of those nights, if you go. Our good friend Dave Burton plays the "mean doctor" (as his three-year-old daughter puts it) and he is absolutely worth seeing. But then you add in the incredible Dallyn Bayles and believe me when I say I couldn't breathe through their duet together. I've been a long-time fan of Dallyn and seeing him perform as Archibald Craven only solidified my esteem for his voice and his range as both a singer and an actor. He's just amazing, and the last duet between him and Lily (played by Korianne Johnson on the night we went) has been following me for days now.


I have a feeling the show is quickly selling out, if it hasn't already, but if you get a chance to go see this play, take it! It is everything a musical should be - deeply touching, well-produced and performed, and beautiful in a way that will leave you thinking about it for days. It's worth it - go see it.

1 comment:

  1. Kate,

    I couldn't agree more. I saw it twice because I just couldn't NOT see it again. Cried like a baby both times and left so wonderfully uplifted. It was so, so brilliant.

    ReplyDelete