Monday, April 16, 2012

Word(s) of the Day, Part 7

I felt like my Word of the Day emails were trying to tell me something last week... First there was this:

pyknic \PIK-nik\, adjective:
1. Having a rounded build or body structure.
2. noun. A person of the pyknic type.

So, in other words, a pregnant woman is pyknic. Who knew?

Then I got this the very next day:

grouse \grous\, verb:
1. To grumble; complain.
2. noun. A complaint.

I felt like maybe it was being hinted that I should stop grousing about feeling sick. Point taken, random Word of the Day emails, point taken.

Also, these are funny words:

pettifog \PET-ee-fog\, verb:
1. To bicker or quibble over trifles or unimportant matters.
2. To carry on a petty, shifty, or unethical law business.
3. To practice chicanery of any sort.

hircine \HUR-sahyn\, adjective:
1. of, pertaining to, or resembling a goat.
2. Having a goatish odor.

Or, used together, don't pettifog over who is more hircine, okay?

No comments:

Post a Comment