Tuesday, January 31, 2012

Book review (in a hurry)


In order to make myself more accountable about reading one book every month (I'm trying!), I'm going to post a book review at the end of each month. This month, my book was Love, Stargirl by Jerry Spinelli. It is a young adult novel and a sequel to Stargirl, which is an excellent book that everyone should read.

Love, Stargirl picks up a year after Stargirl ends and is "the world's longest letter," written by Stargirl herself. I loved getting to hear Stargirl's voice more directly, and I loved the cast of crazy, eclectic characters in her new town. I was a little frustrated with how mopey she was for the first part of the book (nursing a broken heart) because it made her very much not herself. But partway through the book, she realizes she's losing herself and starts to become more the giving, caring, uniquely herself person that I loved from the first book.

Every time I read Stargirl, I am more inspired to give, to have compassion, to find beauty, and to live free of the worries and pressures of society. I am the kind of person who tends to worry about what is "right" in a social sense, but Stargirl only worries about what is "right" in a true sense. I always come away from Stargirl wanting to be more like her. Because she isn't quite herself for part of Love, Stargirl, I didn't have quite the same sensation. I did come away wanting to be her friend, though, and that was very reassuring.

My rating? Two thumbs up. Three and a half stars. If you read and loved Stargirl, definitely give Love, Stargirl a read.

No comments:

Post a Comment