Wednesday, March 23, 2011

What crafty looks like at my house

Last week, there was an evening in which I got really restless, like I needed to clean or organize something. In desperation, I finally turned to Tim and said, "I need a project. Give me a project!" Like the wonderfully obliging husband he is, he did. He reminded me that we had talked about creating some kind of holder for our remotes (there are three) that would attach to our couch. I got to work and twenty minutes later...


Okay, it's not that impressive. It was actually super easy--exactly my kind of project. I just cut off one of the pant legs of an old pair of Tim's jeans (that was in the to-be-quilted pile), folded the back pocket up, and sewed the sides with the right sides together. Turned it right side out and presto--a big pocked with a smaller one on the outside. I left the long strip of pant leg as long as it was so that we could hang the pocket on the back of the couch and tuck the rest underneath the couch cushions. To make myself feel crafty and to avoid raw edges, I hemmed the sides and the top edge. It's been a perfect solution to our usual "Where's the remote?" "Which one?" "All of them..." routine.

Then, not satisfied with one craft accomplishment, I create this little beauty:


Again, not that impressive and super easy. I don't have a pincushion and so after writing up instructions for a really cute one that will be featured in one of our upcoming magazines, I decided to give it a try. I just cut out four equal-sized rectangles (all from the scrap pile, I might add), sewed them together, and then hand stitched a larger piece to the bottom. I stuffed it with leftover batting and trimmed the edges to be somewhat scalloped. And for good measure, I added a flower and a button to the center. Very cute.

But where, you might ask, am I getting all these scraps of fabric and batting? Well, I might answer, I finally finished this quilt I've been working on...


Possibly the most eclectic quilt ever, but I really like it. Every square is from a shirt or pair of pajama pants that I was too sentimental to just throw away. I can chart most of high school and some of college with this quilt, and I really like the way the border turned out.

So there you have it: proof of my craftiness. Ta-da!

2 comments:

  1. Your quilt is SOOOO cool! I want one! Look at you Miss Crafty :) That should be published in Simply Handmade!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha, thanks Paige! I don't know how magazine worthy it is...if you look real close, you can see that about half the corners don't line up at all. That's what I get for being impatient!

    ReplyDelete