Tuesday, June 21, 2011

Father's Day

Tim's birthday usually falls right around Father's Day and I tend to get caught up in the birthday celebrations, so I wanted to post something about dads. About how lucky I am to have a wonderful, loving father who has given me an appreciation for eclectic French composers, exotic foods, and the finer points of English grammar. A father who looks for every opportunity to spend time with his children, who finds ways to spoil us (even when we're grown up and out of the house), who works hard to support us still. A father who once started an indoor water fight, who came to pick me up from the airport so I could surprise Tim when we were engaged, who offered to make cookies so Tim and I didn't have to bake a thousand cookies by ourselves. I wanted to post something about how he is so very thoughtful and concerned and strong, how proud I am of him for fighting his cancer, and how I love him very much.

I also wanted to post something about my luck in finding a great father-in-law, who raised my husband to be a good man. Who taught his sons how to love and cherish their wives. Who taught them how to learn from history. Who set an example of church and community service. Yes, I thought it would be appropriate to post something about this other father of mine, as well.

But then I remembered the grandfathers who have each touched my life and taught me lessons of value, the uncles who have been my friends, the brothers who will be my children's examples and pals, and the friends I have grown up with. And I thought of my husband, who will someday be an amazing father to my children, and my heart is too full to put it all into words. I am so incredibly blessed to have these men in my life; they have each enriched and strengthened me in one way or another. I wish I could tell them individually what they mean to me, but blog post intentions will have to do. Happy Father's Day!

No comments:

Post a Comment