Wednesday, June 23, 2010

To Nepal and back...minus an appendix

Sometimes life is just so crazy, you try to write about it while it's happening and then something else happens and you have to start all over. I've been wanted to post on here about my sister Rachel's adventures in Nepal, but everytime I thought I was ready to put it all down on paper, something else happened. Like anaphylactic shock. Or appendicitis. You know, whatever. Little things like that.

Rachel was in Nepal for just three weeks (out of an originally planned seven) to volunteer at a non-profit daycare center and an orphanage; two weeks in, she was in the hospital getting her appendix removed and a week later, she was home, one organ lighter and eight pairs of shoes heavier (they are beautiful shoes though, so I can't blame her). For those three weeks, pretty much all my family talked about was Rachel, how she was doing, what she was doing, etc. I read her blog every morning as soon as I got on the computer, and every morning I had to hold back my emotions as I tried to imagine what she was experiencing: intense poverty beyond our comprehension, stories of tragedy that were just the way of life there, strange foods, an unfamiliar language, and a complete absence of friends or family or support of any kind. And as her reports trickled in of sickness, getting hit by a motorcycle, ripping open her thumb, getting a 2-inch splinter in her foot, going into anaphylactic shock, and finally, appendicitis, it just seemed surreal.

Rachel also had some amazingly good experiences. She was able to go to the orphanage (that she's been in touch with for almost a year now) for only a few hours, but during that time she met with the girls that she's loved and cared about for months. She came away with a rock-solid determination to do everything she can to help them from here, and after seeing the pictures and hearing their stories, I want to do everything I can to help them too. Rachel has always been driven by a desire to help people. She has such a big heart, and other people's experiences and sorrows affect her deeply. I can tell that caring for the children of Orchid Garden and OCAYHN is going to be her life's work.

In some ways, I am still processing Rachel's adventures, as I'm sure she it too. What is amazing to me is how her one-on-one contact with the children she met has affected all of our family already. We care too, and I think that we have learned with Rachel to appreciate the luxuries we have and recognize our responsibility to do what we can to help other people. It's overwhelming to think of the millions of people in the world who are suffering, but to find one group of children that you know you can help makes the desire to do so even stronger.

I've also come away from the last few weeks with a stronger testimony, as strange as that may sound. There were several times when Rachel could have died on her trip, very literally, and yet I know she was protected and saved by heavenly powers. It was a welcome reminder that Heavenly Father really does watch over all his children at all times. Not that I ever forget or doubt that, it's just nice to have it so forcefully (and gratefully) confirmed.

I highly recommend reading Rachel's blog (rachelgoestonepal.blogspot.com) to get a fuller sense of her trip. I'm so proud of my sister for being brave enough to go and loving enough to come away with a purpose and not just bitterness. And also, I'm very, very glad she's home.

Some pictures from her blog:


No comments:

Post a Comment