Wednesday, April 27, 2011

A green and pleasant land

Four years ago today, my life changed.

Four years ago today, I started hiking. It was really just a pleasant walk for the most part, except for the fact that I didn't have any food with me. I was in one of the most incredibly beautiful places I had ever seen, and I was with a group of relative strangers. Sure I knew their names, their faces, their voices, but I didn't know them yet. I remember trying to find the right words for what I was seeing--"beautiful" was quickly becoming overused, so I started a list: pretty, pastoral, stunning, splendid, lovely, breathtaking, serene, elegant, peaceful, dazzling, delightful, quaint, enchanting, gorgeous, incredible, picturesque, idyllic... Well, you tell me: what words would you use?






For years ago today, I started a study abroad trip with a group from BYU focused on literature and writing. Almost half of the group and I had flown into Edinburgh the day before, but today we met up with the rest of our group and our director in Glasgow. We drove to the trail head and started walking the 8 miles to our youth hostel that sat literally a stone's throw away from "the bonny, bonny banks of" Loch Lomond. We were supposed to stop for lunch halfway there, but John (our program director) didn't meet us with the food and we ended up hiking the whole way sans food. It was definitely an adventure on the first day of our adventure.

I don't know how to explain what that trip was, or how it changed me. For two months, I wrote and hiked and read and thought. I questioned myself, I learned how to listen to and understand people, I went out of my comfort zone, and I made friends. As a writer, I developed my voice and style, and found questions that I am still exploring. My views and perceptions were widened; my stereotypes were challenged. And I had a ton of fun. I mean, holy cow, I'm still quoting that trip.

It wasn't all good, of course. There were days that I was tired, cranky, and easily annoyed (as were my classmates). Things didn't always go well, and I spent half of the trip trying not to stress out about sticking to the planned schedule. But for the most part, it was the amazing, beautiful, incredible journey--both literally and figuratively--that I needed and wanted. As a person, as the person that I have become and hope to continue to be, I began to grow and change four years ago today. It's a sort of birthday for me, in that sense.

Part of me wishes I could go back, but I know that I can never recreate that experience. So instead, I get incredibly nostalgic for the goodness that was the 2007 BYU England & Literature Study Abroad, and I let my heart remember what it was like to be in that green and pleasant land. Please indulge me if I post pictures from that trip every week and reminisce--it does my England-loving heart good.

1 comment:

  1. I really WOULD wish you would post pictures every week! It would do my heart good as well. I LOVE YOU!! I miss your hugs, and you laughing at me :)

    ReplyDelete