Monday, February 28, 2011

Where I work, continued

To contrast the hijinks from a previous post, here are photos of my office:

The mess on my desk is a project that I am currently writing text for and the box of projects I'm working on.

These are the boxes of projects that I've either written text for or are waiting for text. Actually, only a few boxes are waiting for text. I'm catching up!

If it looks like a lot of work, that's because it is, heh. And by "writing text" I mean that I type up the name of the project (the scrapbook page, card, mini album, or other project), the name of the person who made it, the dimensions, the supplies used to make it, some kind of tip, and most of the time, instructions on how to recreate it. I've gotten very, very good at figuring out how things are made, I'm not going to lie. And considering I had zero crafting experience when I started, I consider this quite the accomplishment.

I get a lot of blank looks when I tell people I work for a scrapbooking/crafting magazine. Like, completely blank, bewildered, confused looks. Like they don't know what scrapbooking is, or they can't imagine anyone ever wanting to be in that business. I also get the feeling that people don't realize how big the scrapbooking industry is. Ours is actually the only publishing company that has increased the number of magazines we're publishing, rather than cutting back. We don't have a lot of ads or editorial articles--almost all we publish are reader submissions. So someone who just does this as a hobby could get her card or layout or home decor project published in one of our magazines. It's kinda cool, and one of the reasons we're still in business. We actually have readers/submitters from all over the United States, as well as England, Germany, Switzerland, Canada, Mexico, Australia, the South Pacific, and South Africa, to name a few.

In all honestly, the work I do and the words I write aren't life-changing. Somedays it seems very trivial. But there are hundreds of women around the world who read (okay, skim) what I write. To the company I work for, what I do definitely matters and is appreciated. And really, I can't ask for much better than that.

1 comment:

  1. Yes, it matters! You're like the cog that turns the wheel? Is that a real saying? Anyway, thanks for working so hard all the time, we need you!!

    ReplyDelete