Monday, September 22, 2014

Rosie at 6 months




I can't believe we're already to 6 months! This is going so fast. I sometimes feel like I am still getting to know Rosie. Here are some new/updated points of interest in the life of Rosie:
- Rosie can roll! Front to back, back to front, either direction - she's a pro! When she's in the mood, I can put her down in the middle of the living room, come back in two minutes, and find her anywhere in the room from practically under the couch to under the desk to trying to slide across the tile to the kitchen.
- Rosie can sit! This isn't new but she's a pro at this too. She rarely falls backward anymore, and if she tips to either side, she just gets her arms out from under her and starts rolling, no fuss.
- Rosie loves to bounce. L.O.V.E.S. to bounce. She spends a decent chunk of her day in her bouncy seat in the kitchen so I can make or clean up our meals.
- Rosie talks! She's moved from just making noise to saying "Ma" (sometimes "Mama"!), "Ba," "Da," etc. She loves to chat it up, squeal and shriek, and generally hear herself "talk."
- Rosie loves being tickled, teased (peek-a-boo is a favorite), and sung to. She absolutely lights up when she sees someone she recognizes - I think we've got an extrovert on our hands. She also gets so happy and excited when someone smiles/makes faces at her that she just can't stand it, she has to squirm and laugh and look away. It's pretty cute.
- Rosie has gone back to waking up twice a night AGAIN after sleeping through the night (again). Ask me how I feel about that. Go on. I dare you.
- Rosie has almost settled on a 2-3 naps a day schedule that I can mostly plan on. She also puts herself to sleep like a champ. This makes me very happy.
- Rosie expresses displeasure by blowing out her lips (think of a "brrrrr" sound). She screams when she's really mad about something (which is infrequent), but just being generally bored or unhappy just produces that "brrrrr"ing sound. It's kind of funny.
- Rosie doesn't eat much sometimes because she gets so very distracted by, well, everything. She always makes up for it later but it can sure be annoying in the moment.
- Rosie is perfecting her swiping skills. Anything that comes within range gets swiped at and she succeeds in her goal at least 50% of the time (100% if you aren't paying attention).
- Rosie spends most of her days on the floor or in one of her bouncers/seats with at least one toy in her hands and/or mouth at any given moment. The rest of her time is spent napping (lovely) or being held, something I wish I could do a little more of. The hour or two when she's awake and Georgie's asleep is when we really get to play, read, and sing together. I wish I knew how to plan my time with two kids a little better so that they both get some good one-on-one time with me. Especially on the days when I have work deadlines, I sometimes get to the end of the day and feel like I didn't really even see them. Mothering is a constant exercise in balance, isn't it? Six months seems like it should be enough time to figure all this out, but no matter how much progress I make, there is still some learning and relearning and relearning again to do. Thank goodness for Rosie's smiles to make me feel like I'm doing something right!

And now for some picture cuteness:
Eat the sign!!! Must have something in my mouth!!!
Don't worry, she threw up all over this outfit four minutes later.
I get tired of going through four outfits a day so Rosie usually ends up hanging out in the pantry in just her diaper. Lucky girl.
Not a great photo but it just made me laugh: Rosie leaning on Georgie, chewing on a blanket, while Georgie holds her juice and blanket and gets mad that Rosie is in her space. Pretty typical scene, right there. Add a picture of Georgie begging me to put Rosie in the crib two minutes earlier and another of Georgie pushing Rosie over two minutes later and I'd say their relationship is summed up nicely.

2 comments:

  1. Oh my goodness, love that last picture of the girls together! So sweet. And love the caption. Keepin' it real. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is me bugging you for another blog post. What are you doing slacking off with two tiny kids at two of the hardest ages? Working three jobs? And with a husband who is taking a full class schedule and working? Seriously Kate, what are you doing with all your gobs and gobs of free time?! ;) Seriously though, I hope things are going well. It gets better! Miles is old enough that he and Blake can play together with a little less supervision and it is H-E-A-V-E-N. It's coming, Kate. It's coming. :)

    ReplyDelete