Thursday, February 9, 2012

Remembering choir

Today at work I listened to a mix of the songs from my BYU Women's Chorus CDs. At the end of every year, we received a compilation of all the songs we sang recorded during our concerts. Some of the recordings include the little bit of talking that came before the songs or the applause afterward. I love a lot of the songs for their beauty or message, but mostly I love them for their memories.

Singing with the Women's Chorus was one of the most rewarding experiences of my life. I went to the Madsen Recital Hall everyday and got to spend an hour singing my testimony with 150 other girls. There were frustrating days, or days when I was too tired to give it my all, but most days I left the Madsen feeling lifted. Singing in a choir gave me a sense of being a part of something much larger than myself. I could never create such powerful and beautiful sounds on my own, but my one voice contributed to that larger sound as well.

I'll never forget the adrenaline of being onstage, the lights bright, the rustle of our skirts as we took our places. We waited, almost holding our collective breath, for the first flickers of Sister Applonie's hands. I put all my energy into singing beautifully and communicating that through my eyes. Sometimes Sis. Applonie made eye contact with me, and together we smiled and shared our joy in the music and the messages we shared.

Even though I was at work and focused on what I needed to get done, the music reminded me of all the happiness that was singing with the Women's Chorus. I'm so grateful I had that experience and that have the music to take me back.

No comments:

Post a Comment