Sunday, May 22, 2011

Halfway there

My intentions of posting about my trip to England four years ago ran away with the month of May (not sure what happened it to it), but today was the halfway point on the trip so I thought another post was in order. Besides, I really wanted to post some of these pictures...

















By this point in my trip, I had hiked to the top of the tallest peak in England, danced in the stone circle of Keswick, been sunburned hiking Helvelyn, wandered around Grasmere Lake, walked across the moors, been drenched at Warwick Castle, paid homage to Shakespeare's Stratford-upon-Avon, visited Oxford, written in Jane Austen's garden, and wondered at eternity on Tennyson Down. I had already experienced some of the most beautiful moments of my trip and I had started to form the questions that would drive my writing. Some of my deepest introspection was yet to come, but those wonderful first six weeks lay the groundwork for all the growth to come.

For all that I wish we were having more sunshine this month, the rain makes me feel like England isn't quite so far away, and the plethora of green that is going to come from all this water is really going to make me feel at home! Reliving my trip, even just periodically, makes me so grateful that I was able to go. Is it strange to be inspired by your own experiences? Because I absolutely am.

1 comment:

  1. Did you go with family or did you do a study abroad? England is GORGEOUS!!!

    ReplyDelete